Things homeowners can do to help their property management company
When you hire a property management company to take care, list, market and rent your home, you may think that passing everything over to them crosses it off your list. And, while it does, for the most part, there are still a few things you should do to help your property management company set the home up for successful renting.
Things you can do to help your property management company
- Clean out clutter – While this one may seem simple, it’s not as easy as it sounds. When you occupy a space, you may not realize how much clutter and excess baggage you have around the home.
Clean out as much clutter and excess items as you feel make space look clean and then ask your property management company representative to come by the house and offer any additional recommendations.
It’s always good to get a second opinion of the space since it can be hard for you to know if you’ve removed enough stuff.
- Take personal belongings out of the property – Another item that may seem like a no-brainer is to remove belongings from the property, yet it’s often overlooked. If you have photos hanging around the house that are personal, these need to come down.
Another place to remove all personal belongings is in the closets and dressers. These areas need to be reserved for the renters and should not be occupied with your things.
- Clean your walls or put fresh paint on them – If you’ve had to remove items from the walls, it is important you cover any holes that were made and remove excess nails. It’s also a good idea to wash the walls or put a fresh coat of paint on them.
You want your home to feel like the renters are entering a hotel or luxury oasis – not your personal space.
- Pay the current months bills – Make sure your bills are paid and up to date before you hand the property over to your management company. This helps keep everything updated and ensure that renters don’t fall victim to power outages or utilities not working.
- Complete any necessary paperwork – It’s likely you’ll have paperwork to fill out from your property management company. Be sure you get this filled out as thoroughly as possible.
- Get an extra set of keys made – The last thing you want to do is give your only set of keys away. Make sure you get copies made and you always have the master set.